Cheltenham retailer in asbestos prosecution

Monday, 20 August 2012  |  Admin

A Cheltenham contractor and a retailer have been prosecuted after a construction worker was exposed to asbestos during a refurbishment project.

Simon Cooper was engaged by Hutchinson HiFi and Vision Ltd in February 2010 to refurbish an empty shop unit in Cheltenham High Street, which involved replacing a suspended ceiling.

In a prosecution brought by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), Cheltenham Magistrates' Court heard today (27 July) that contractor Simon Cooper failed to ensure a proper asbestos survey was available before work began. As a result, workers on site, including Matthew Thompson 28, from Cheltenham, removed up to 85m of asbestos insulating board over two days on 16 and 17 February without the necessary controls or adequate protection.

The Court was also told that Hutchinson HiFi and Vision Ltd failed to provide any client information regarding the presence of asbestos within the building. They should have ensured a demolition and refurbishment survey was carried out and the results made available to Mr Cooper.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Simon Chilcott, said:

"As a result of the failings of Simon Cooper and Hutchinson HiFi and Vision, people were unnecessarily exposed to asbestos. This incident could have been avoided if the retailer had provided information on the presence of asbestos in the building and Mr Cooper had ensured he had seen a demolition and refurbishment survey before commencing the renovation work.

"The risks of asbestos are well known in the construction industry as are the controls required in dealing with it. Exposure to asbestos can have fatal or serious long term health consequences and, as such, every precaution must be taken to minimise any risks when working on buildings."

Hutchinson HiFi & Vision Ltd, of High Street, Cheltenham, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 10 (1) (b) of the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations 2007 and was fined £3,500 and ordered to pay £1,836 in costs. Simon Cooper, of Leckhampton, Cheltenham, pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 5 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006 and was fined £600 and ordered to pay £800 in costs.

Asbestos-related illnesses are responsible for around 4,000 deaths every year. Further information on working with asbestos can be found at www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos
Twitter
Latest News - Center
Tuesday, 18 June 2013  |  Admin
Tuesday, 18 June 2013  |  Admin
What do you eat with your Bananas?!

Kusten Vorland today surveyed a disused banana store in Huntworth Business Park Somerset. The surveying team set off from Cardiff early this morning with some trepidation!

After reading the Daily Mail we found this out;nearlier this week "a shopper had a terrifying moment when he picked up a bunch of supermarket bananas and found a large tarantula hanging off. Mark Drinkwater, 42, said he was left with his 'heart beating through his chest' after discovering the spider in the fruit and veg section of his local Lidl supermarket on Monday morning.

Thursday, 21 March 2013  |  Admin

A web of intrigue surrounds a gruesome discovery in a 19th century attic – where a large tarantula skin, potentially contaminated with asbestos, has been found.

The shock find was made during a routine survey by Cardiff asbestos specialists Kusten Vorland.

And a spider expert last night warned the beast that shed the skin could still be at large – and possibly twice the size.

Read more: Wales Online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/need-to-read/2013/03/21/asbestos-contaminated-tarantula-could-be-on-the-loose-in-cardiff-91466-33028980/#ixzz2O9iKAv00

Wednesday, 20 March 2013  |  Admin
Packing the spider samples for analysis!

Kusten Vorland team acting brave today, packing and logging contaminated spider shell samples

Tuesday, 19 March 2013  |  Admin

During a routine asbestos survey on a property in the Roath area of Cardiff; Kusten Vorland surveyors were faced with a scary situation. The property dating back to the 1800's is to undergo a full refurbishment this Spring to restore the 3 storey house to its former glory. Whilst investigating the attic area surveyor’s uncovered board suspected to contain asbestos used to house Spider carcasses.

The unusual find led to lead surveyor Katie Parsons-Young boycotting the survey and returning to the office. Katie said, "After watching the film Arachnophobia, I just can't go near them. I certainly wasn't expecting to find such big, hairy, scary creatures on my site today"

News Headlines: 
Social Media